"Under The Sea" With ADHD. An Entertaining, Surprisingly Informative Parody Video

The Holderness Family really helps us understand ADHD!
Scrolling aimlessly through YouTube this morning, as my wandering attention leads me to do, I stumbled upon one video that made me stop.  

As many of you know, I have ADHD, which often drives me, my husband and everybody else around me absolutely nuts. 

The video I found was by the Holderness Family, which has a fun, super active channel on YouTube. They crank out videos faster than I can eat a package of Lorna Doons (i.e., the speed of light).

The parody I found was a takeoff of the song "Under The Sea" from "The Little Mermaid" performed as "ADHD" by, I guess Mr. Holderness, with help from his long-suffering wife. (The video can be viewed at the bottom of this post).

Apparently, Mr Holderness, like me, has ADHD. The video is beyond silly, like most Holderness Family videos, but gosh, he really nails it. 

Mr. Holderness is a big, loud, exuberant kind of guy, one of the hallmarks of ADHD.  The song described his pattern of disorganization, inattention, and "Look, a squirrel!" kind of mentality we ADHD people have. 

Yes, this aspect of our brains and personality is annoying. But Mr. Holderness does not dwell on that. Like a breath of fresh air, he encourages us to embrace our ADHD.  It's often a good thing.  With lyrics like this:  

"They call it a deficiency                                                                                                                             but you know what, I do not agree                                                                                                         This could be our real superpower, ADHD"    

I also love how he explains our brain by using a mixing board as an example.  It's one of the most illustrative, accurate descriptions of an ADHD brain I've seen. 

Holderness also points out that ADHD has its benefits. It helps with creativity, and a sense of humor. Most of us are pretty smart, even though we seemingly do dumb things at times.

You can control the worst aspects of ADHD with coping mechanisms like making lists and getting plenty of exercise. (I often self-medicate by vigorously working in my garden, or other physical activities).

Holderness has been helpful on this topic before.  There's another, non-musical video he put out more than a year ago that has a bunch of useful life hacks for people struggling with ADHD. 

The new Holderness video is a must-see for anyone with ADHD, especially children, who might be bullied in school and would love a big, boisterous, lovable galoot like Mr. Holderness. Loved ones who have ADHD people in their lives will find this video fun and useful too.

So: Thanks to the Holderness family for helping out with this.  

The video is below: As always, just click on the YouTube logo to make the video bigger and easier to see. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time To Ban Gender Reveal Parties

My Annual Darlene Love Christmas Tradition Screwed Up By What Else? Covid. Still Making It Work, Though!

Reviving The Blog , Sort Of, In Time For Christmas. With Karens!